Summer Crossbow Maintenance Checklist
Here’s a list of things to do before you shoot your crossbow this summer!
- If your crossbow has dirt or grit on it left from the last season or has collected dust from being stored, use a cotton cloth with dish soap and water to gently wipe down any parts that need it.
- Check the condition of your strings and cables and determine if they are due for a change. TenPoint recommends changing the string and cables on most bow models every two to three years. If you are unsure about whether you are due for a change, please consult with your local TenPoint dealer or send an email to email@example.com to reach TenPoint’s Customer Service Department.
- Apply a string conditioner or wax to the string and cables to prevent wear and to keep your crossbow shooting in top form.
- Check the tightness of all screws, nuts, and bolts on your crossbow. Hand-tight is all that is needed.
- Apply some rust-protective oil to the parts on the crossbow that might be susceptible to rust from moisture.
- Apply lubricating oil to all moving parts that need it. Check out the TenPoint 2019 Owners’ Manual for specific lubrication instructions for your crossbow.
- Check your cocking mechanism to make sure that all parts are in top operating shape, paying special attention to the cords and springs. If the cords seem dry, apply some string wax to help prevent premature wear.
- Check your carbon arrows for any cracks in the carbon fiber. Check aluminum arrows for cracks or dents in the aluminum. Check for any tears in the vanes. Remove and dispose of any arrows that you find have damage to the shaft or vanes.
- Check your field points for any dented ends and spin your arrows after screwing in your field points to check for bent ferrules or shafts. Remove any arrows that “wobble” when you spin them.
- Finally, check your target to be sure that it is not showing signs of deterioration from last season’s shooting or weathering from the winter and spring elements.
Now you’re ready to get out there and have some fun this summer shooting your crossbow!
Shoot Straight and Be Safe!